Hamantaschen are a cookie made from a freshly made dough paired with fresh jam, perseverance, or chocolate. The triangle shape is represents Haman’s hat, who Queen Ester defeated!
Yields 12 cookies
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1 egg
• 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup orange (or other fruit) juice
• 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1-1/2 tablespoons baking powder
• 1/2 cup fresh strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with a handheld mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in the oil, vanilla and juice. Carefully stir in the flour and baking powder and mix until the batter forms a bit of a dough.
3. On a floured surface, roll dough out to about 1/4- to 1/3-inch thickness. Using a circle cookie cutter, cut out small circles. Place cookies one inch apart onto the prepared cookie sheets. Spoon about two teaspoons of preserves into the center of each one and pinch the edges to form three corners.
4. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven or until lightly browned.